In progress at UNHQ

Yemen


Aid workers in Iraq are preparing to bring water, hygiene, sanitation, food and emergency medical care to those in need ahead of the anticipated military campaign to retake the Da’esh-held town of Telafar, some 60 kilometres west of Mosul.  Some 60,000 people are believed to remain trapped in the city and its environs.

The United Nations Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic says it started an operation this week to remove armed fighters from Bangassou, epicentre of recent interethnic violence that resulted in the displacement of more than 2,000 civilians and the killing of three peacekeepers.

High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein announced today the appointment of Bacre Ndiaye from Senegal, Luc Côté from Canada and Fatimata M’Baye from Mauritania as international experts on the situation in the Kasaï region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, mandated by the Human Rights Council.

We spoke earlier this week about the aerial attack on the embattled Mawza District of Yemen’s Taizz Governorate.  The United Nations Human Rights Office said today that Tuesday’s air strike by the Arab Coalition Forces is believed to have killed at least 18 civilians, including 10 children and two women.

The United Nations refugee agency said today it is deeply shocked and saddened at reports of deaths and injuries suffered by internally displaced people in an aerial attack on embattled Mawza District in Yemen’s Taizz Governorate.  Civilian casualties are still being verified, but initial reports indicate at least 20 people killed, including women and children.

The Secretary-General yesterday strongly condemned the launch of a ballistic missile of possible intercontinental range conducted by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.  He said that the action is yet another brazen violation of Security Council resolutions and constitutes a dangerous escalation of the situation.

Three planes chartered by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) have delivered 36 tons of life-saving medical and water purification supplies to Yemen to combat the outbreak of cholera which has surpassed 200,000 cases.  The supplies include oral rehydration salts to treat 10,000 people, as well as 10.5 million water purification tablets.